sábado, 26 de septiembre de 2015

MY TEACHING METAPHOR




My English teaching and learning metaphor is based on a particular drawing of a teacher with a huge cap . To me, that cap is the reflective one, the one that all of us as teachers should have in our daily teaching practice. It helps us to think deeply about our role as teacher and the way in which we apply all the theory we know in order to make students learn more easily and in a more enjoyable way.

On the other hand ,the landscape surrounding the teacher is constituted by a tree in which I put the resources and tools I have to work, which can be many depending on how creative and innovative we are. Also, the grass is divided into three sections organized chronologically: On the left, it starts with the current reality which is the one we as teachers face  when we go to the classrooms. In most of the cases, that panorama is not a relieving one. 

Then, in the middle, we find two complementary educational concepts which are the obstacles and the steps to follow in order to cope with difficulties found in our daily teaching practice.Finally, on the right we find the desired reality which undoubtedly is the result of a hard work and the improvements got by doing our job as better as possible and putting all our effort on every single step we follow.

Hence, teaching is a dynamic and complex process that requires a multitude of decisions to be made. However, the advance planning required in creating language objectives allows teachers to better anticipate the children needs thus increasing the comprehensibility of the lessons.
   From this perspective, to meet my objectives I rely on the reflection process as a way to identify my weaknesses and strenghts in my teaching role,methods and strategies .

Teaching is a never ending learning process of gaining knowledge from new philosophies and new strategies, learning from the parents and community, learning from colleagues, and especially learning from learners. Learners have taught me to open my mind and my heart to the joys, the innocence, and the diversity of ideas in the world. Because of this, I can never forget how to smile and laugh with the learners to make teaching and learning and enjoyable experience for them and for me too.

Undoubtedly, I strongly agree that each student is a unique individual who needs a secure, caring, and stimulating atmosphere in which to grow and mature emotionally, intellectually, physically, and socially. It is my prime role as a mentor to help  and guide students to develop skills in the language learning area  by providing them a safe environment that supports  collaborative work as well as the development of child's natural curiosity.

Hence, when I teach them I can train students and contribute to their intellectual growth, as well as to gain new perspectives as reflective  teacher on  teaching and learning english. Also at examining the key ideas and assumptions that shape the production of knowledge in this field.


4 comentarios:

  1. Hi Angela! I agree with you when you mention the importance of learning from others and do not forget that children can bring us many things that are priceless. In this vein, teaching children becomes exciting and thrilling! Every day is like a new adventure, because they are full of imagination and innocence. Taking into account the things mentioned above, I would like to ask you, what kind of strategies do you use when teaching them?

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi dear Angela!
    I truly liked your metaphor! it is awesome to know that other teachers have similar perceptions about teaching and learning. Therefore, I agree with the believe we need to enjoy our job and display such happiness to our students. The notice and feel everything we show them in and our classroom. For this reason it is decisive to have a good relationship with the school community.
    Another important point you mentioned was to try to develop our students' curiosity, I strongly think curiosity is the first path to good learning. Hence, I would like to know if you have had courious children in the classroom, how have you felt and how have you dealt which such curiosity? Thanks for this wonderful reflection!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hi Angela,
    I really like the idea of learning from our students; if we as teachers are willing to learn from them, they will always have something amazing to teach us.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Hi Angela,

    I found really interesting and assertive the fact that is important to set the objectives to know where to go and what to achieve. I also agree when you say we as teachers are mentors and have the role of modeling students.
    I really liked your metaphor and your writing!

    ResponderEliminar